Looking for a one-pot meal you can serve with greens over rice, or perhaps eat with injera? This meal is worth making and it serves up to 8. If that’s too much you can freeze some of it for a future leftover meal that’s bangin!
Ethiopian Red Lentil Sweet Potato Coconut Curry
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 medium large sweet potatoes chopped
- 1 regular yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 sweet red peppers diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp curry (to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin (to taste)
- 1 tsp tumeric (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp bebere
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 cup coconut milk (to taste)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium tomato diced
- Wash your hands and clean your vegetables
- Saute chopped potatoes in skillet until tender in the center
- In a large pot, warm oil over medium heat. Saute chopped onion, minced garlic, finely chopped jalapeños, chopped bell peppers, diced sweet red peppers, minced ginger, chili powder, curry, cumin, tumeric, pink himalayan salt, pepper, bebere, allspice.
- Add the rinsed lentils and water to cook. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and reduce to a simmer 15-20 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Add cooked sweet potatoes and coconut milk to the pot and let simmer 30 minutes
We are many tribes but ONE people. We are Black, Afro-Latino, Afro-Caribbean, African and Original. We are BLAFROKAN.